This digital collection will assemble images relating to Louisville, Kentucky, and environs from various small collections in the University of Louisville Libraries' special collections and archives.
The following collections are currently featured in this digital collection, which will be periodically updated with additional images:
Albert Wheaton Terhune
Insurance agent and amateur photographer Albert Wheaton Terhune was born March 12, 1871 in Newark, New Jersey. The oldest of four children, he lost his mother to tuberculosis in 1877, and, in his late teens, contracted the disease and spent a year in a sanatorium in Colorado Springs. Upon returning to Newark, Terhune married and had at least two children, both daughters. He moved his family to Caldwell, New Jersey while he was employed by the New York City-based Provident Savings and Life Assurance Society, and later worked for Travelers Insurance Company for at least 40 years.
From 1906-1907, Terhune was temporarily assigned by his company to Louisville, Kentucky to fill in for an ill worker. He lived in the Coker Apartments on Chestnut Street and spent some time with the family of P.G. Coker. Terhune spent the summer of 1907 engaging in his love for photography in and around the Louisville area. The 77 photographs in this collection represent the complete contents of an album donated to the Photographic Archives by his daughter in 1987, and highlight his interest in the outdoors and include images of downtown Louisville; Cherokee, Central, and Iroquois parks; the Ohio River; and rural areas around Louisville. Additionally, there are pictures of Fontaine Ferry, White City, and Glenwood amusement parks. In June, July, and August 1907, Terhune travelled to points beyond Louisville, including Lexington, Kentucky; Hinton, West Virginia; Cincinnati, Ohio; Mammoth Cave, Kentucky; Tell City, Indiana; and Altoona, Pennsylvania. The 11 color postcards in this collection were sent by Terhune to his daughter, Eleanor Terhune, in Newark, New Jersey. Two more postcards are in the physical collection but have not been included in the digital collection because they duplicate ones in the Newton Owen Postcard Collection.
Terhune returned to New Jersey in 1907 and passed away January 27, 1952.
The architectural and engineering firm of Joseph & Joseph was founded in 1908 by the brothers Alfred S. and Oscar G. Joseph. Alfred Joseph had trained as an architect while working for the Louisville firms of McDonald Brothers, McDonald and Sheblessy and McDonald and Dodd. While at McDonald and Dodd, he served as chief architect and engineer and participated in projects for the Presbyterian Seminary, Temple Adath Israel, the original Weissinger-Gaulbert Apartments, Stewart's Dry Goods and the Lincoln Savings Bank. Oscar Joseph graduated from the University of Michigan as a civil engineer and had worked for architectural firms in Toledo and Mount Vernon Ohio, as a bridge engineer for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad and for McDonald and Dodd.
Operating initially from offices in the Lincoln Savings Bank, Joseph & Joseph's first project was a shoe shine parlor for B. Bimbas and J. Gontias on Fourth Street in Louisville. The firm also received a major commission during their first year, a building for the new Kentucky State Fairgrounds.
By the end of the 1930s Joseph & Joseph was one of the major architectural firms in the south. They had also been a major influence on the appearance of Louisville's downtown. The 121 images in this collection, dating from 1904 until about 1930, highlight their projects in and around Louisville, including office buildings, factories, apartments, residences, schools, and theaters.
In 2008, the date of the launch of this digital collection, Joseph & Joseph was still operating as an architectural firm in downtown Louisville, and celebrated its 100th anniversary.
The Oscar Ewing Dairy evolved from a dairy founded by D. H. Ewing (Oscar's father) outside Louisville, Kentucky, in 1876. The dairy moved its operations into the city in 1888, producing butter, bottled milk and cream and delivering it throughout Louisville via horse and wagon until 1940, and then by truck. These photographs document the operations of the Ewing Dairy, including buildings and horse-drawn delivery wagons.
The University of Louisville welcomes fair use of this website and its contents. If you wish to publish, broadcast, or publicly display these materials, please notify Archives and Special Collections. In addition, it is your responsibility to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions, which may include paying fees for commercial use. For further information about permissions, use, and ordering reproductions, see Copies: Prices and Permissions, or contact Archives and Special Collections, University of Louisville.
To cite an image from this collection, please use the format:
[Image Number], [Collection], Photographic Archives, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.
To cite the digital version, add its Reference URL (found by following the link in the header above the digital file).
The A.W. Terhune Collection photographs were scanned by Yuriy Lozitskiy in December 2007 on an Epson Expression 1680 flatbed scanner as 600 ppi TIFF images in 8-bit grayscale, scaled to 10 inches on the long side. Bill Carner cropped, rotated, and adjusted levels on the scans in January 2008 using Photoshop version CS2. Rachel I. Howard converted the TIFFs into JPEGs of 600 pixels on the long side, using IrfanView version 3.98, and, with Terri Holtze and Angel Clemons, uploaded the JPEGS into CONTENTdm version 4.3. Angel Clemons and Tyler Goldberg researched and created metadata for the A.W. Terhune Collection in accordance with the University of Louisville Digital Initiatives data dictionary (PDF). Most titles were derived from captions in the album; titles supplied by the cataloger have been noted in the Description field.
The A.W. Terhune Collection postcards were scanned under the direction of Susan Finley in July 2011 as 600 ppi TIFF images in 24-bit RGB color, scaled to 10 inches on the long side. Rachel I. Howard cropped the images in Photoshop CS4, converted the TIFFs into JPEGS of 600 pixels on the long side using IrfanView version 4.22, and uploaded the JPEGs into CONTENTdm version 6.1.3, along with metadata created by Angel Clemons and Tyler Goldberg.
The Joseph & Joseph Collection was scanned by James C. "Andy" Anderson in Summer 2004 on an Epson Expression 1680 flatbed scanner as 600 ppi TIFF images in 8-bit grayscale, scaled to 10 inches on the long side. Terri Holtze converted the TIFFs into JPEGs of 600 pixels on the long side, using IrfanView version 3.98, and uploaded the JPEGS into CONTENTdm version 4.3. Terri Holtze researched and created metadata for the Joseph & Joseph Collection, based in part on information gathered by Andy Anderson, Delinda Stephens Buie, Bill Carner, Amy Hanaford Purcell, and others for a September 2004 exhibit of Joseph & Joseph photographs at the Photographic Archives, Special Collections, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky. All titles were supplied by the cataloger.
The Ewing Dairy Collection was scanned by Marcy Werner in May 2013 on an Epson Expression 10000XL flatbed scanner as 600 ppi TIFF images in either 8-bit grayscale or 24-bit RGB color, scaled to 10 inches on the long side. Bryan Ricupero converted the TIFFs into JPEGS of 600 pixels on the long side using IrfanView version 4.36, researched and created metadata, and uploaded the JPEGs into CONTENTdm version 6.1.3. All titles were supplied by the cataloger.
Terri Holtze designed the HTML pages.